ADS Sticky Dome Tweeter Repair

The ADS sticky dome tweeters can be repaired. We can mount a new tweeter in the original faceplate and you can enjoy your high frequency sounds again.

Featured here is an ADS L810, but the same tweeter was used in almost all ADS models so this can work for you too. We can also use this technicque for many other obsolete brands and models, so please, tell your friends about our service.

16 Responses to ADS Sticky Dome Tweeter Repair

1. unclebif November 3, 2014 at 8:00 am #

I have a blown and dismantled event electronics Tweeter #1825 (#1825). I’ve purchased your last one to replace it. I’ve noticed you had run out of stock before, and feel fortunate to find you had one left. I would like to have an extra as these are becoming difficult to find. Do you replace the voice coil, or replace the entire tweeter component into the faceplate? If only the faceplate is needed, I can send it alone. If the blown and dismantled tweeter components are needed I can also sent them. It disassembled easily.

2. John mullins February 21, 2016 at 10:31 pm #

I have ads l730 speakers,
    One woofer sounds blown, can you fix

• Cathy Satin February 22, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Yes we can. We consider this a standard recone or refoam. Just send to us and we will take care of it for you.
      Here is a link to the repair form you can use when you ship to us.

3. Rick July 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm #

I need to repair a blown tweeter in an L810 speaker. Would I pull the tweeter and sent it to you? Also, is there a way to clean the dust off the mid-range and tweeter in these speakers?
    Thanks,
    Rick

• Cathy Satin July 14, 2016 at 9:16 am #

Yes you would need to send the original tweeter to us. We will reuse the original faceplate and mount a different brand 1″ dome tweeter to it. Estimate $75.00 each. This will enable you to mount it back into your cabinet without any modifications to the cabinet or crossover. You might want to send both tweeters to us so you will have a matched pair.
      A sticky doping was used on the original midrange and tweeters and it does attract and hold dirt and dust. I do not know of any way to clean them. I would suggest leaving them alone. Any cleaning products you use will weaken the soft dome and it would be very easy to damage the voice coils. I would consider it is similar to a patina on a vintage product.

4. Rick July 22, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Do you also have a replacement for the midrange? What would be the cost to send me the drivers so that I can install them?

• Cathy Satin July 22, 2016 at 10:08 am #

We have something similar but if you can send the original unit we can rewire it for you. for more info, contact us at sales@speakerex.com

5. Bob Carson July 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Hi Cathy — I have ADS 710 speakers, one of them with no sound from the tweeter. Based on the earlier exchange, are you suggesting that I remove both tweeters and send them to you for retooling? Thanks.

• Cathy Satin August 1, 2016 at 9:14 am #

Yes. We need the original tweeter housing so we can use the original faceplate and mount a new tweeter on it. This will allow you to remount in the same hole without any cabinet modifications.

6. Gardner Howland December 2, 2016 at 5:56 am #

Do the tweeter replacements you use for the L810 have sound quality, tone and durability similar to the originals? Thanks.

• Cathy Satin December 2, 2016 at 8:53 am #

We upgrade the tweeter to a 1″ dome with a neo magnet instead of the .75″ original dome with a ceramic magnet. In addition, the original domes get dry and crack and the ferrofluid dries up so you probably are not hearing the full tweeter for the last few years. You will find this to be big improvement.

7. Robert Brown July 12, 2017 at 8:50 pm #

I have a pair L 1290 loadspeakes. The soft domes are busted. How much to replace.

8. mark martinez August 24, 2017 at 4:57 am #

I have a pair of L1290 towers one of my 8.3″ Woofers is not working…I found that when I removed the magnet there is a thin cylinder with extremely thin wire coiled around it….and the two wire leads that connected it to the cone were broken….and and it was ni longer attached to the cone… model 206 0359 speaker.
    Can you give me a cost estimate to repair this or is there a speaker replacement you would recommend?

• Cathy Satin August 24, 2017 at 7:12 am #

I really wish you hadn’t removed the magnet. This would have been a very easy fix if you left the magnet in place. The thin cylinder you describe is called the voice coil. http://reconingspeakers.com/faq/how-to-identify-speaker-parts/
      It sounds like the pigtail or tinsel lead was broken and we could have easily releaded the wire. We do this by removing the original lead and then we go all the way back to the voice coil lead and attach a new tinsel lead. BUT, removing the magnet makes this moot. Now the speaker needs to have the magnet reattached and recentered and the woofer reconed. There is no way to center that voice coil while reattaching the magnet. The repair has to be done in two steps. Reattach and recenter the magnet and then recone which replaces all the moving parts including the voice coil. We will need to have the speaker in house to see how closely we can match the parts with the available options. In addition, I don’t know how you removed the magnet. Did it come off cleanly or did it crack or break? Send the speaker to us and we will give you a quote once we have it in house.